Cloth nappies (aka washable nappies, reusable nappies and real nappies) really are as simple as disposable ones (meaning there’s no soaking nappies for days, no smelly nappies boiling on the hob and absolutely no safety pin accidents!)…
It’s the stats that got our attention first… 500,000 tonnes of disposable nappy waste is generated in the UK every year, with 92% going to landfill. Let’s just say things are about to get interesting (and not necessarily more messy either!) The Nappy Gurus have been encouraging parents to make the switch to reusable nappies since 2009, with an unrivalled online support system ensuring mums and dads don’t feel overwhelmed.
We chat to The Nappy Gurus’ Founder founder Laura Davies about her top tips for making the switch…
1. Just give it a go! Dip your toe in and start with a couple of nappies. You will only start to truly understand them once you start to use them. Starter packs are a great idea.
2. Ask questions! Don’t ever feel that your question is silly, we have all been there and there are so many parents who are happy to help. Head into a chat group like The Nappy Guru Place on Facebook, where the team, as well as lots of other parents, are ready to answer any questions you may have.
3. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing, so don’t put pressure on yourself. Even one or two nappies and some reusable wipes can make such a difference to both your environmental footprint, and your wallet!
4. Don’t over-complicate it, especially when it comes to wash routines. There can be a lot of conflicting advice floating around, so just keep it simple and always follow the manufacturers care guidelines. Contact The Nappy Gurus for tips, but with a good zip up wet bag and some non-bio washing powder, you’re pretty much set!
5. Someone else’s favourite nappy, might not work for you. Every baby is different, but don’t get disheartened. Get some advice and try a different brand, or see if you have a local Nappy Library where you can test out a number of different nappies.
6. Do your research – The Nappy Gurus have a host of support including helpful video guides, articles, diagrams and can also provide free personalised nappy advice and recommendations.
7. See if your local council offers an incentive for switching to cloth nappies – many will provide vouchers or starter packs. Find out if your council has a real nappy incentive.
GO TO: thenappygurus.com
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Inspiration/Image Credits: thenappygurus.com